April is the Month of the Military Child.
Every year since 1986, we have recognized April as the Month of the Military Child- celebrating the adaptability and resilience of these amazing boys and girls.
I, myself, have 3 (soon to be 4) little ones who have moved 4 times in 5 years and experienced 3 deployments in their short lives (all are under 6 years old). It amazes me every day how they rise to the challenge of moving to new places and making new friends or adapt to Daddy being gone for weeks to months at a time and dealing with only Mama 24/7.
But no matter what, I always want to show our military kids a little extra love this month. In our house, we always find extra fun activities and creative snacks. Plus my oldest is obsessed with baking shows on Netflix, so when I find a chance to bake a special treat, she is all over it.
As I mentioned in one of my latest blogs, OREOs are a staple in our house. So when I found an incredible recipe on Snackworks.com for OREO Banana Streusel Muffins, I knew this would be something my kids would love. Let me tell you, they were a huge hit with my kids, and my oldest had the time of her life helping Mama in the kitchen!
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 16 OREO Cookies, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup mashed fully ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- HEAT oven to 400°F.
- COMBINE flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Chop 12 cookies.
- WHISK egg with milk, butter, and vanilla in a medium bowl until blended. Stir in bananas. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Stir in chopped cookies.
- SPLIT remaining cookies. Scrape creme off cookie halves into a small microwaveable bowl; reserve creme for later use. Chop plain cookie halves.
- SPOON muffin batter into 12 paper-lined muffin pan cups; sprinkle with chopped (plain) cookie halves. Gently press cookie pieces into the top of the batter to secure.
- BAKE 15 to 20 min. or until a toothpick inserted into centers of muffins comes out clean. Cool 5 min. Remove muffins from pan to wire rack; cool 15 min.
- MICROWAVE reserved creme on HIGH 15 to 30 sec. or until melted; stir. Drizzle over muffins. Serve warm.
You definitely need to try these muffins with your kids right now. I promise you won’t be disappointed!
And if you are looking for something to help benefit your child’s future, be sure to check out the latest sweepstakes for The Month Of The Military Child sponsored by Nabisco and Coca Cola. All you have to do is text the word PURPLE to 89884* to be entered for a chance to win up to $5,000 for your child’s education! For more information, check out the sweepstakes here.