With enhanced safety features and double-digit savings more and more Military Families are utilizing their benefit to shop on-base.
The nation’s on-base commissaries, with ramped up safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and significant savings opportunities on consumer product goods, have become among the most desirable shopping locations for the nearly 7 million authorized military shoppers.
In recent months, you may have seen these safety measures in your Commissary. To protect members of the military, commissaries instituted a wide range of steps to improve shopper safety, including:
- Plexiglass shields at all checkout locations
- All store employees are required to wear PPE
- All Patrons required to wear face coverings while in stores
- Social spacing floor graphics at checkout and in-aisle traffic flow arrows at select locations
- All I.D. cards checked at the entrance and no visitors allowed to reduce congestion
- Touchless transactions: Cashiers use handheld scanners to scan customers’ ID cards while the customers hold their cards
- DeCA began employee health screenings of anyone who works in CONUS commissaries – including employees, baggers and affiliated contractors – before they start their shifts.
“We applaud the Defense Commissary Agency for the stringent steps they are taking to protect our military families and we’re proud to support these families in any way we can,” said Debra Kesler, Military Account Manager at Nestle Purina PetCare.
Since the COVID-19 pandemic took hold in March, on-base shopping increased 30 percent year over year while transactions in March increased 8 percent year over year.
As they implement COVID safety measures, commissaries continue to offer annual customers savings of 23.7 percent on average compared to those who shop at traditional retail outlets outside of military bases. Military families who travel on base note that it’s worth the trip for the safety and savings realized.
DeCA, MyMilitarySavings.com, and some of your favorite brands including; Procter & Gamble, Nestle Purina PetCare, Tyson Foods, Del Monte Foods, Nabisco, Bush’s Beans, Smuckers, Reynolds and Red Bull have banded together to help promote the commissaries’ safety initiative. Working together to keep you safe while shopping and saving at the Commissary.