Spring is in the air, and it is time to celebrate! I know that we are looking forward to warmer weather and even toying with the idea of having some outdoor, socially distanced gatherings once we are allowed the opportunity.
Pre-COVID I loved hosting any type of gathering. I would go crazy with appetizers, courses, décor, and activities. Now I am hoping to have a small gathering this spring to bring a few of my friends together I haven’t seen in almost a year. Yet, the thought of cooking for more than just my family makes me a little nervous. Will I have enough time to cook everything while trying to keep the kids on task for virtual school? Well, I already know the answer to that is a big, fat N-O, but I have found some incredible recipes that are quick, easy, and will please the masses (only 5-10 per household per most regulations). These recipes will even utilize some of those non-perishables you decided to stock up at the beginning of quarantine.
Now for our household, I always keep cans of chicken on hand in our pantry- even pre-quarantine. It has been a main staple since I was a kid. If you need something quick to grab as a snack or even a meal, that little can packs a lot of protein and is super filling. I can’t even tell you how many deployment/duty nights this Mama just popped open a can, grabbed a box of crackers, and binged watched Hallmark movies after the kids were in bed or how many chicken salad sandwiches the kids have had made with canned chicken. This recipe is hands-down better than any other I have found. It gives you the savory and sweet, plus it will please both adults and kids. And the best part is, you don’t have to cook a single thing- 5 ingredients and you are done! Totally something to celebrate!
- 10 strawberries, divided
- 1 can (12.5 oz.) chunk white meat chicken in water, drained
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp. chopped green onions, divided
- 30 RITZ Garlic Butter Crackers
- Cut 8 strawberries into 30 thin slices; reserve for later use. Chop remaining strawberries.
- Combine chicken and mayonnaise in a medium bowl. Add chopped strawberries and 2 Tbsp. onions; mix lightly.
- Top crackers with reserved strawberry slices, chicken salad, and remaining onions.
Now for those who are like my husband and enjoy a little more kick to their celebrations, I have found the perfect Buffalo Chicken Salad Topper. This recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken breast, but I used canned chicken and it was delicious!
- 3 small boneless skinless chicken breasts (3/4 lb.)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 5 Tbsp. Buffalo wing sauce, divided
- 30 TRISCUIT Crackers
- 3 Tbsp. crumbled blue cheese
- Heat grill to medium heat.
- Season chicken with pepper. Grill 6 to 8 min. on each side or until done (165°F). Cool.
- Chop chicken; place in a medium bowl. Add carrots and celery; mix well.
- Mix mayonnaise and 1/4 cup (4 Tbsp.) wing sauce until blended. Add to chicken mixture; mix lightly.
- Spoon chicken mixture onto crackers; top with cheese. Drizzle lightly with remaining wing sauce.
I hope you all have something incredible to celebrate this coming Spring- whether a holiday, a birthday, or just life in general.
Make sure you head over to your local Commissary to grab all your ingredients for these incredible recipes today!