Tips for Successful Homeschool Families
The school year seems to be rushing by way to fast! There are days I sit back and wonder what got done that day. My kids are famous for being able to put off their schoolwork in the most genius of ways, and then somehow managing to get it all done last minute before their dad gets home.
We had a little bit of a rocky start this year. Our curriculum arrived super late, so I felt like we were pushing from day one to get caught up again. After a couple of weeks of intense working, I had to slow the pace. I was afraid that we were going to burn out at the rate we were going. But, now I feel as though we slowed down too much. I did a little networking in my community, and a little online to get a few tips to get us recharged and back on a path that will be successful. Homeschool parents – it can be a struggle! But there are a few things that you can do that will help! These tips will help build success for your homeschool journey.
- Connect in your community – Reach out on your local base page and ask if there are any other homeschool families. Connect and grow with other families in your area. Organize field trips, nature walks and more! Not only does this help get you out of the house for some fun (and learning), but it gives you a chance to connect with other parents who are homeschooling as well. You can also share and swap curriculum, and get ideas to use with your own kids! If your community does not have a homeschool group yet – start one!
- Find Online Support Groups – There are so many online support groups out there! Some are designed for a specific curriculum, while others are open to everything. Do a little searching, ask your homeschool friends which ones they follow, and get started! These groups are chalk full of information, tips, and so much more!
- Maintain a constant schedule – Homeschooling can be very flexible, but having a schedule of activities will help keep kids focused and engaged. There will be days when your schedule flies out the window, and that is okay! Build your ideal calendar and stick to it as much as possible.
- Don’t pack too much in – You DO NOT have to do every subject every day! Play with your curriculum and see what works best for you! Doing too much (or to little) will frustrate kids and make them start pushing back. Find 2-3 subjects a day that you want to focus on and work around those.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions – whether you are asking another homeschool mom, or posting in your group – do not be afraid to reach out for help! None of us are perfect, and we all need a helping hand! There are some super veterans out there who have been homeschooling for years. They are always willing to help answer your questions!
- Remember to have fun – This one is one of the most important ones! Learning should be fun, (although some subjects are harder to make fun than others). Keeping our kids engaged in their learning and wanting to continue to learn more can be hard. Build rewards into their schoolwork, take a day off now and again, etc. There are so many ways to keep schooling exciting!
I wish you the best of luck in your homeschool journey! It so very rewarding to watch your kids grow and learn!