Halloween has always been a huge celebration at my house. Typically, I throw a huge Halloween party for my birthday that my friends and family look forward to every year. But with the pandemic and a newborn in the house this year, we have to downsize our celebrations dramatically.
We are still planning on Trick or Treating and our neighborhood has already been actively talking about social precautions for this year’s festivities. Someone even shared pictures of a 6-foot candy dispenser they are planning on building to hand out treats! Also, our Command is organizing a “Trunk or Treat” to encourage our families to celebrate the holiday safely within our boat community.
I know I am doing everything I can to be sure my friends and family are safe when we gather in our small groups. All the while, I am trying my best to keep a sense of normalcy for my kids and make sure they are still having a great time with great food. I have found so many new recipes for my kids to try and they all have been a huge hit.
Their new favorite go-to snack is Caramel Apple on a Ritz. It is so quick and easy, and my kids love assembling them all by themselves.
- 24 RITZ Crackers
- 1 small apple, cut into 24 slices
- 2 Tbsp. salted caramel topping
- 1/4 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Top crackers with the remaining ingredients.
One of the Halloween traditions we are definitely keeping up with is our annual Halloween movie night. The kids have already decided they want to watch Coco again this year (as we did last year) and they wanted a really fun movie snack to go with it. After going through our movie snack recipes, they didn’t find anything that fit so we did some digging and found Fruity Skeleton Dip.
- 2 pkg. (8 oz. each) Neufchatel cheese, softened
- 1 cup thawed frozen whipped topping
- 1 cup assorted fresh fruit (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, sliced strawberries, sliced kiwi, pineapple pieces and/or clementine sections)
- WHEAT THINS Original Snacks
- Beat Neufchatel cheese in a medium bowl with mixer until creamy. Stir in whipped topping.
- Spread into skull shape on a serving plate.
- Arrange fruit on top of dip to resemble a skeleton’s face as shown in the photo just before serving.
This year many of our gatherings will look a little different from the pandemic, but there should be no reason to sacrifice good food. So head on down to your local Commissary and gather all of your ingredients for these incredible snacks today!