Mediterranean Quinoa & Avocado Salad – No One Will Believe It’s Homemade!
I have to admit that I’ve recently jumped on the “quinoa bandwagon.” I was reading about it everywhere and I had only attempted to make it once or twice a long time ago, wasn’t impressed, so I gave it up. But this is the new thing!! Quinoa is the new rice. The new pasta. And if you do it right… it’s actually amazing! Yes, I said it. It’s all about the flavors that you are mixing it with!
I’ll spare you with the insanely long list of health benefits- but I WILL say that it is one of the few plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids, it’s super protein-rich, and it has twice as much fiber as most other grains. (Check out more at HeathLine!) I was convinced that I had to make this a family favorite so I played around with ways to serve it and found it is quite versatile. My favorite recipe though, the absolute best gotta-throw-dinner-together-in-a-hurry solution, is a Mediterranean Quinoa & Avocado Salad. OMG.
Remember when I said quinoa is all about what you mix it with? How about traditional Greek herbs and spices? Mint, lemon, and feta cheese? My mouth is watering just describing it to you! Everything about this dish is delicious!! AND it’s fast! How often does “healthy” and “fast” go hand in hand? It’s rare, that’s for sure. But MorningStar Farms® has the most flavorful Mediterranean Chickpea Burgers that completely cement this dinner together. That’s right – it’s a SALAD loaded with QUINOA then topped off with a CHICKPEA BURGER, and then garnished with tomatoes, avocado, and mint leaves. Get. In. My. Belly!!
From fridge to table in 25 minutes, your family will be insanely impressed. Chances are they’ll think you grabbed it from a restaurant on your way home. Don’t believe me?? Then you have to try it to find out!
This is what you’ll need:
Mediterranean Quinoa & Avocado Salad
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 4 MorningStar Farms® Mediterranean Chickpea Burgers
- 1 cup seeded and chopped tomato
- 1 cup chopped fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 medium ripe avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- COMBINE water and quinoa in a small sauce pan. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered about 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed. Transfer to large bowl. Cool slightly.
- MEANWHILE, prepare MORNINGSTAR FARMS Mediterranean Chickpea Burgers according to package directions. Cut into wedges. Set aside.
- ADD tomato, 1 cup spinach, red onion and mint to quinoa. Toss to combine. In small bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Drizzle over quinoa mixture. Toss to combine.
- ARRANGE the 3 cups spinach and avocado slices on 4 serving plates. Spoon quinoa mixture on each. Top with burger pieces and feta cheese (if desired).
Grab all the ingredients you need from the commissary today and make sure you give this a go. I can’t wait to hear about how much you love it! Drop those comments below!
For more delicious recipes, subscribe to MyMilitarySavings.com! We’re your one stop shop for dinner ideas, dessert options, Commissary and Post Exchange savings, DIY projects, family crafts, and more…