October is such a fun month and especially fun if you LOVE Halloween like I do. We usually go all out decorating the house, dressing up, and even having themed Halloween parties. So. Much. Fun! These deliciously gross looking treats would be great for a Ghostbusters or Toxic Waste themed party! Slime is SUPER popular with the kids right now so I thought I’d incorporate it into our Halloween treats.
Green Slime Popcorn- (I used this recipe from Babble found via Pinterest)
- 8 cups of popcorn, I used a bag of store bought just to save some time!
- 1 stick, 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Kraft Jet-Puffed mini marshmallows
- Neon green food coloring (or green & yellow)
In a saucepan, bring to a simmer the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup. Once melted and incorporated, take off the heat and add the vanilla extract and marshmallows.
I found a pack of neon food coloring in the grocery store, which worked perfectly, but you can also use a mix of yellow and green and to get a nice “nasty” slime color. 😉 Pour your sweet slime mixture of the popcorn.
Quick hint: spray the bowl and spatula with cooking spray anytime you’re working with something sticky. It’ll slide right out instead of making an even bigger stickier mess! I love the strings of “slime” in the popcorn. Using butter or cooking spray, coat your hands and make slime balls to serve your guests, if desired. YUM! Tastes like caramel popcorn, looks like SLIME! 😉
While perusing the Halloween aisles, I picked up this awesomely sticky slimy gel icing in green. Perfect for our Toxic Waste Monster Cupcakes!
If you have a favorite cupcake recipe, use that now! I grabbed a box of Pillsbury dark chocolate cake mix and whipped up some quick cupcakes. Once cooled, I added the green edible gel around the sides of the cupcakes.
I have OFFICIALLY perfected my buttercream frosting recipe. It’s easy and makes the most delicious frosting. It’s also easily doubled or tripled!
- Cream 2 sticks (1 cup) of softened butter in a mixer for at least 2 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed
- Add 1 teaspoon of clear vanilla extract
- Gradually add 4 cups of powdered sugar. I usually add in 1 cup at a time to prevent the great sugar disaster than always seems to happen with my mixer. HA! (An easy way to keep it contained is to cover the top of the mixture with a clean dish towel while mixing.) Scrape down the sides as needed
- Add 1 tablespoon of water and give it a final mix. Your results should be creamy and smooth buttercream frosting. Add your food coloring and mix with a spoon or spatula.
For the slime monsters, I used the same neon green food coloring, but once again you can use yellow and green to create your perfect color.
With a piping bag or ziploc bag, pipe your frosting onto the cupcakes. I got so excited I forgot to take a picture! Using colored chocolate candies give your monsters eyeballs. I have a pack of edible colored markers (found in the baking section) and used it for pupils, but I think solid candies would work great too!
How flipping adorable are these little slime guys? So cute, right? My kids went nuts over the cupcakes! They were a little leery of the popcorn until I finally convinced them to try it. Ha ha! It’s delicious caramel popcorn, I promise!
For more great recipes, tips, and coupons, head on over to mymilitarysavings.com. Membership is free so be sure to sign up today!