I am what you call a candy connoisseur. From gourmet chocolates to saltwater taffy- I love it all and my kids do too. We have been experimenting with what each kid likes, and unanimously, they all found they love Sour Patch Kids! It made my heart so happy when I thought about weekends at the ballpark and late-night movie nights where Sour Patch Kids were a staple of my childhood.
Now that I have succumbed to the fact that my kids have inherited my sweet tooth, every movie night starts off with popcorn and a bag of Sour Patch Kids. Recently we got more creative with our go-to movie snack and made some really tasty cupcakes with our favorite kids (candy and human).
Prep Time: 30 min Total Time: 2 hr 30 min Makes 24 servings.
What You Need
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) SOUR PATCH KIDS Soft & Chewy Candies, divided
- 3 large limes, divided
- 1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 lb. powdered sugar (4-1/2 cups)
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Reserve 24 candies for later use. Place remaining candies in a large freezer-weight resealable plastic bag; freeze for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, grate enough peel, then squeeze juice from 2 limes to measure 2 Tbsp. each, zest, and juice. Cut remaining lime into 6 slices, then cut each slice into quarters. Reserve for later use.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Crush frozen candies. Prepare cake batter as directed on package; stir in 3/4 cup crushed candies, and 1 Tbsp. EACH lime zest and juice. Spoon into 24 paper-lined muffin pan cups. Return remaining crushed candies to the freezer.
- Bake cupcakes 18 to 20 min. or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in pans 10 min. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- Beat butter in a large bowl with a mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, mixing well after each addition. Blend in milk, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until frosting is of desired spreading consistency. Beat in vanilla, then remaining lime zest and lime juice until blended.
- Spread or pipe frosting onto cupcakes; sprinkle with remaining frozen crushed candies.
- Top with remaining whole candies and lime slices just before serving.
How to Crush the Frozen Candies
Use a meat mallet or the bottom of a heavy skillet to crush the frozen candies while still in the bag. If crushed candies stick together, lightly tap the bag on the countertop to separate the candy pieces before using as directed.
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
260 calories, 10g total fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 40 mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate, <1g dietary fiber, 31g total sugars includes 27g added sugars, 2g protein, 6%DV Vitamin A, 4%DV Vitamin C, 0%DV Vitamin D, 4%DV calcium, 4%DV iron, 0%DV potassium
Now everyone has their favorite kid whether you like to admit it or not. And no… I don’t mean your favorite human kid- I’m talking about your favorite Sour Patch Kid. Sour Patch Kids is giving you the chance to vote for your favorite kid and win a trip to Miami as well as other sweet prizes. To enter the Shock the Vote Sweepstakes, visit sourpatchkidsvote.com to pick your favorite kid or text RED, GREEN, ORANGE, YELLOW, or BLUE to 89884 for a chance to win.
So go Shock the Vote and then head over to your local commissary for all of those ingredients for SOUR PATCH KIDS Fiesta Fun Cupcakes. Be sure to leave us some comments with pictures of your cupcake creations with your favorite kid (Sour Patch or human) today!