Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I hold onto so many memories of Thanksgiving dinner with my family as a kid and I love bringing all of those to life with my little family now. We have a turkey with all the trimmings and desserts galore. We all love different things, so I make sure to have a side and dessert that each person likes. What are your favorites for Thanksgiving dinner? Drop a comment below and let me know!
We typically don’t eat dinner until about 3pm and because I make everything from scratch, cooking dinner is the only thing I am doing. So, leading up to dinner it’s “Create Your Own Adventure”. My daughter asked if she could find some ideas for what to have before dinner in preparation for Turkey Day. We looked for some quick, easy snacks that the kids could help make and munch on before dinner. It only took moments to find some great ideas- thanks to NABISCO!
If you’ve read any of my previous posts, you know my family loves to snack. So we searched for something that we could make ahead of time and leave out for anyone to take as they please. We found a recipe for Chili-Spiced WHEAT THINS Snack Mix that checked all the boxes. This snack mix is flavorful enough for my husband, not too spicy for my littles, and is easy to just grab and go.
Chili-Spiced WHEAT THINS Snack Mix
What You Need
- 3-1/2 cups WHEAT THINS Original Snacks
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. chipotle chili pepper powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- Heat oven to 300°F.
- Cover rimmed baking sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray.
- Toss WHEAT THINS with nuts and pumpkin seeds in a large bowl; set aside.
- Combine sugar and dry seasonings in a small bowl.
- Beat egg white until frothy.
- Add to WHEAT THINS mixture along with the sugar mixture; mix lightly.
- Spread onto a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 30 min. or until golden brown, gently shaking ingredients in a pan after 15 min.
- Cool completely.
When tossing the WHEAT THINS mixture with the beaten egg white, gently press the
ingredients together with your hands to help them stick together.
Substitute 2 cups of your favorite combination of nuts for the peanuts, pistachios, and pumpkin
Add 1 cup dried fruit, such as cranberries, apricots, or cherries, to the cooled snack mix before serving. Makes 23 servings, about 1/3 cup each.
How to Store
Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days before serving.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 140 calories, 9g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol,
110mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate, 4g total sugars includes 3g added sugars, 2g dietary fiber, 5g protein.
After we found the snack mix, my daughter asked to have options this year for her snack. Since we found the savory snack mix, we opted to find a little something sweet to go with it. We actually found the best of both worlds in the Sweet ‘N Salty Praline Dip, also featuring WHEAT THINS!
What You Need
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2-1/2 cups thawed frozen light whipped topping, divided
- 1/4 cup glazed pecan halves, chopped
- WHEAT THINS Original Snacks
- Beat sugar and butter in a medium bowl with whisk until blended.
- Whisk in 1/2 cup whipped topping, then fold in remaining whipped topping.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Serve with WHEAT THINS.
240mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 12g total sugars includes 11g added sugars,
Thanksgiving, give these recipes a try. Be sure to head over to your local commissary to pick up
all your Thanksgiving needs!