If you’re looking for the perfect, Italian, Christmas dinner recipe, search no more! Gather your friends and family for this delicious and hearty Lasagna ala Tuscany dish – it’s made with real, authentic meatballs from Carando, and everyone is sure to love it!
Lasagna ala Tuscany
- 1 (16-oz.) pkg. Carando® Toscano Ground Sausage
- ½ lb. ground sirloin beef
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped onions
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped carrots
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup no salt added chicken stock
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup (2 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
2. To make pasta sauce, sauté onions, carrots, celery and garlic in olive oil until tender. Add sausage and beef; cook until browned. Add wine and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients, except noodles and cheese; simmer 30 minutes or until desired thickness, stirring occasionally.
3. Heat oven to 375° F. Spoon about 1 cup tomato sauce into bottom of 13x9x2-inch pan. Top with 4 lasagna noodles. Spread half of the remaining pasta sauce and half the béchamel sauce over noodles. Sprinkle 1 ½ cups mozzarella over the top. Repeat layers with remaining noodles, sauces and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle Parmesan over top.
4. Cover pan with foil and bake at 375° F. for 45 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes until cheese is slightly browned on top.If you do make this Lasagna ala Tuscany for Christmas or the holidays, be sure to leave us a comment and tell us what you think! And feel free to let us know what your favorite Christmas / Christmas Eve recipe is, too!