Dinner is a hard meal to find at times. Getting enough fiber can be even harder. Most Americans do not get the recommended amount of fiber each day. What if I told you, you could get the fiber you need AND have a delicious meal at the same time!? Pretty awesome right? Well, get ready for awesome to hit the dinner table! Benefiber® is bringing you this delicious recipe, and the fiber can be added in. You will be the only one at the table that knows that the entire family is getting their fiber, while eating a delicious seafood dinner.
Grab what you need at your local commissary, and prepare a delicious dinner tonight!
What You Need
- 1.5 pounds mussels (will yield slightly less after discarding open mussels)
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup roughly chopped basil
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup hot water
- 8 teaspoons Benefiber® unflavored powder
- Fill a sink ½ full of cold water. Add the mussels and toss them around. Pull the beards and scrape off any barnacles from each mussel (inspecting them to make sure that they are tightly closed). Discard any open mussels. Do not wash until ready to cook.
- Put the tomatoes, basil, onion, garlic, water and Benefiber® into a large non reactive pot. Stir until Benefiber® is dissolved. Add the mussels and cover. Cook them over high heat until you can see them steam forcing its way out from under the lid, shake the pot and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Check to see if the mussels have opened. If not, return lid immediately and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the mussels into individual serving bowls, discard any mussels that did not open.
- Bring the liquid the mussels were cooked in to a boil.
- Pour the liquid over the mussels and serve immediately. Serve with a bowl on the side to discard shells and a spoon for the broth.