When it comes to cooking dinner, I want easy. After working all day, running errands, and trying to keep tiny humans alive, the last thing I want to do is stand in front of a stove and cook a long drawn out meal. Finding those EASY and DELICIOUS meals that have minor dish usage (cause who wants to clean up the mess that is created while cooking), are perfect and automatically get saved for a trial run. Now, if you are a normal busy person, things get saved and most of the time, forgotten. However, this recipe pretty much reached out and slapped me in the face – literally, as I was falling off my chair and hit the computer. Yup! I have those magical skills that make normal movements, like readjusting your computer chair challenging. So imagine carrying dishes! This one pot meal was super yummy and easy clean up! Best part of the entire meal?? I used the paper plates by CHINET, and managed to avoid major dish washing! Eat, throw away the dishes, load the pan into the dishwasher and BOOM! Comfy clothing, here I come!
I got everything I needed at the commissary, and found some super sweet deals from CHINET! I grabbed a couple of packages for only $1.69!! After finishing the clean up in my kitchen, that literally took five minutes, the immense satisfaction of finding a quick dinner that was family approved (and the joy of not having many dishes to deal with) literally had me ready to hit the dance floor! Since pj’s were the clothing of choice, I settled for a spin around the kitchen while waiting for my tea to finish.
Don’t let these great deals pass you by! Whether you stock up for those busy days at home, or stock your paper and plastic goods for the family camping trips in the future – – these are perfect prices! Make sure you head over to the CHINET page to catch even more deals and fantastically delicious recipes!
What You Need
- 3 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 c uncooked extra-long grain brown rice
- 2 1/2 c broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 1/2 c of low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 c shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet or pan, SAUTE onions in two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Once onions soften, INCREASE the heat to medium high and add chicken to the pan.
- BROWN the chicken pieces. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- PUSH chicken to one side of the pan and add a tablespoon of olive oil to the other side.
- SAUTE uncooked rice in the olive oil for 2 minutes.
- ADD the chicken broth to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pan with a lid.
- COOK chicken and rice mixture covered for 12 minutes.
- SPRINKLE the broccoli evenly over the chicken and rice mixture and stir to combine.
- CONTINUE to cook covered another 8 minutes on low, or until broccoli and rice are both tender.
- REMOVE from heat and stir in half a cup of cheese.
- SPRINKLE remaining cheese on top and cover with a lid. Let sit for 1-2 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- SERVE and enjoy.