PEPSI hooks us up again!!! This recipe is perfect for Taco Tuesday!! This taco tuesday we are having our traditional tacos but having these delicious tostones on the side! Super easy to make, and Chimichurri will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks, so we can enjoy them again next week! Talk about awesomeness for the table! Fantastic food, and even better leftovers!
Pair with Pure Leaf Unsweetened Iced Tea with Lemon to add some fresh taste to your table!
What you need:
- 1 cup Parsley
- 1/4 cup Oregano
- 2 T Minced Garlic
- 2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- Kosher Salt
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Plantains
- Canola Oil
What to do:
- Add 1 cup of flat-leaf chopped parsley, ¼ cup of oregano, 2 tablespoons of minced garlic, 2 teaspoons of crushed red pepper flakes, ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon Kosher salt to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until well combined, scraping down the bowl halfway if necessary. Transfer mixture to a bowl, add ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil and stir to combine. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, make the plantains: Cut off each end of 3 green plantains, using a paring knife, score each plantain lengthwise in 3 places. Then use your thumb to pry off the peel. Cut plantains into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large frying pan on medium-high, heat 1 cup canola oil. When oil is hot, add plantain pieces, a few at a time, careful to not overcrowd the pan, and fry for 2 minutes. Flip and fry until just golden, another 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat in batches if needed until all pieces are fried.
- Allow plantains to cool slightly, then smash each piece to ¼-inch thickness using the heel of your hand or the bottom of a small frying pan. In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups of warm water and 2 teaspoons salt. Stir to dissolve, then dip plantain pieces in salted water for about 10 seconds each. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and pat dry.
- Add remaining ¼ cup canola oil to frying pan and heat over medium-high. When oil is hot, add smashed plantains in batches and fry until crisp, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve tostones hot, drizzled with chimichurri (plus more on the side if desired), paired with Pure Leaf Unsweetened Lemon Iced Tea.
Yummy and super simple to make!!! Don’t forget to pick up your Pure Leaf Unsweetened lemon ice tea for a refreshing drink to have with your Taco Tuesday nights!
For some great savings with PEPSI and other mouthwatering recipes, visit us over at www.pepsimilitary.com!