Tortilla Soup #MeatlessMonday
Happy Monday to you! Hope you had a restful weekend and you are ready for the week! This week’s Kellogg’s brand MeatlessMonday recipe by MorningStar Farms is one that some would say, “Soup in the Summer?!” But I’m saying, YES, and here’s why!
There’s so many ways to brighten up a Tortilla Soup for Summer! I think the fact that there are so many seasonal vegetables that are readily available during the Summer that it makes this soup a delicious option!
Ancho chili powder has an earthy, sweet flavor and mild heat level. If you have it on hand, it tastes great in this soup. If you don’t, regular chili powder also works.
Prep Time: 40 min
Total Time: 40 min
- 6 white corn tortillas, halved and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder or chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 carton (32 oz., 4 cups) reduced-sodium vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chile peppers
- 1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups Morningstar Farms® Meal Starters Grillers® Recipe Crumbles™
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz.) (optional)
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped (optional)
1. Spread tortilla strips on baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Lightly coat strips with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 400° F for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp, stirring every 5 minutes. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in Dutch oven or very large saucepan cook onion and garlic in oil over medium-high heat about 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in chili powder and cumin. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in broth, undrained tomatoes, undrained chile peppers, corn and celery. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
3. Stir in MORNINGSTAR FARMS Meal Starters Grillers Recipe Crumbles. Return to boiling.
4. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with tortilla strips. Top with cheese and avocado (if desired).
Just looking at the ingredients you can choose the items that you can find fresh to make this soup one you’ll be making often. Better yet, if you want to make this soup when the weather gets a little cooler freeze your veggies from your garden to make this soup in the winter!
Happy Meatless Monday!