It’s Taco Tuesday in our house! We try to switch up the recipe from time to time, just to add some variety but let’s be real, there isn’t much you can do with tacos short of changing out your protein to chicken or seafood. BUT, my kids made a pretty interesting suggestion this time around and asked about changing up the tortilla chip! DORITOS NACHO CHEESE to the rescue! The nacho cheese mixed in with taco goodness is PERFECT!
Not only can you use this recipe for the family on taco Tuesday, but layer it up a few time more times and bring it to BBQ’s or potlucks this summer! Don’t forget to bring an extra bag DORITOS to use as scoops if you want to use this as a dip! Easy to make and even yummier to eat!
What you need:
- Doritos! We went with Nacho Chip flavor (family size bag)
- 1/2 onion, diced small
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced small
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 2 cups of mexican blend cheese
- toppings of your choosing! we went with tomatoes, jalapenos, avocado and lettuce
What to do:
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees
- cook the ground beef with onions and peppers until there is no pink. Drain
- add taco seasoning and water, cook until thickened. Takes about 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- slightly crush DORITOS and put down a layer into a 13×9 dish.
- layer 1/2 the meat mixture on top of the DORITOS, then layer (optional refried beans) and 1/2 cheese!
- repeat the layers, top with cheese and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Once you have a melty mix, top it anyway you like! Lettuce, tomatoes, jalapenos, sour cream, salsa, avocados…anyway you like!
Simple and delicious! Kids loved this one, there were no leftovers to pack up!