Savory Corn Waffles
Meal times. I find myself constantly searching for new recipes, or yummy variations of some of our family favorites. While I have little boys who are “dying from hunger” every 30 seconds of the day, the search to discover meals that will fill and satisfy can be just a tad daunting. One of our favorite food items that we can always agree on are waffles! Waffles are one of the easiest meals to make, and yet, they can be served for more meals than just breakfast. Waffles are one of the most versatile menu items.
We have used waffles for sandwiches, substitutions for tortillas, a favorite Welsh dish which is comprised of a creamy cheese sauce and served over toasted bread (and PERFECT for these creamy waffles), and we have even just experimented with some rather interesting combinations, to make delicious meals. For an easy snack, simply tear the waffles into quarters, and top with your favorite yogurt, peanut butter, or topping of choice. With or without toppings, the Savory Corn Waffles are delightful! The Savory Corn Waffles from Del Monte® are AWESOME! I never thought about adding creamed corn into my waffles, but the end result was pure heaven! The Creamed Corn creates the perfect, creamy texture to the waffles. My family devoured every single waffle which came off my iron.
I used this recipe to create a simple breakfast for dinner meal. Fresh fruit topped the kid’s waffles, and the sides consisted of bacon, eggs, and slightly sautéed avocado slices (in a touch of olive oil, quickly over medium high heat). You can use these avocado slices as a topper for your eggs, or waffle as a healthy and delicious addition. The avocado does not have to be sautéed, just slice and serve on the side as a healthy option.
Great for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. Start with your favorite pancake mix and add a can of Cream Style Golden Sweet Corn – so creamy that you can skip adding any butter or oil.
- 1 can (14.75 oz.) Del Monte® Cream Style Golden Sweet Corn
- 2 cups pancake mix or all-purpose baking mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions or 3 Tbsp. canned diced green chilies or jalapeños
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Coat top and bottom of waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour about 3/4 cup batter onto center of waffle iron bottom; close lid. Cook until crisp and golden brown, according to waffle iron manufacturer’s directions.
- To keep cooked waffles warm, place uncovered on baking sheet in 200°F oven until ready to serve.
- Delicious with bacon and eggs, with maple syrup and apples or berries, as a substitute for bread in a BLT, with fried chicken and maple syrup, or as a substitute for a tortilla in tostadas.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes