Valentine’s Day is such a fun day filled with all the delicious treats, but if you want something a little different these Puppy Love Pops are just the thing for you! These involve no baking and still turn out so amazing. I first found these in a copy of “Cupcakes, Cookies & Pie, Oh, My!” by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson. This book is so much fun and has something for everyone. I highly recommend this book and there are a lot of fun kid-friendly options!
This recipes has very simple ingredients and is very customizable. You will need frozen Sara Lee pound cake, 1 can of vanilla frosting, 1 can of chocolate frosting, M&Ms for noses, Tootsie Rolls for ears, crushed graham crackers, crushed chocolate cookie crumbs, mini chocolate chips for eyes, plastic forks, and conversation hearts for tongues. I also recommend a 2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter for best fit!
- Cut hearts from thawed Sara Lee pound cake;
- Insert a plastic fork into the cake;
- Freeze hearts for 15 minutes;
- Mix canned vanilla frosting and 1/4 cup chocolate frosting to make a light brown shade. Microwave and stir until the texture is light and creamy. I typically do about 20 seconds, but this may vary. You want the texture thin enough to dip the hearts and allow excess to drip back into the bowl. Continue to microwave in 5-second increments if it becomes too thick. I think it would also be really fun to try this recipe with cherry or strawberry frosting;
- Sprinkle on cookie crumbs while the frosting is wet;
- Add candy nose. I used Valentine’s Day M&Ms, but Red Hots would also work;
- Add conversation heart for the tongue;
- Microwave Tootsie Rolls 3 seconds and roll out into an oval shape for ears. For this, you can also use caramels. I was able to locate Valentine’s Day Tootsie Rolls, so I used those. You can also cut to an oval shape if needed;
- Add dots of vanilla frosting to attach mini chocolate chips for eyes;