What is Safe for Your Pet From the Thanksgiving Table?

I have to admit, I am totally guilty of giving my Pug her own little Thanksgiving feast because I mean let’s be honest, everyone enjoys some turkey and gravy! However, did you know that not everything from the turkey day table is NOT completely safe for your pet! So what should you give them and not give them? Well here’s a little run down of what is SAFE and NOT SAFE for your pet to snack on during the Thanksgiving Holiday:

Safe

Boneless, well-cooked turkey

Sweet potatoes

Green beans

Mashed potatoes (plain, no sour cream, butter or gravy) so maybe put some aside before you add the butter

Pumpkin pie

Cranberry sauce in moderation as long as it does not contain grapes, currants, or raisins

Mac & Cheese (as long as your pet isn’t lactose intolerant)

Not Safe

Milk

Chocolate

Raw bones (could splinter and cause choking or intestinal issues)

Raw meat (could transmit E Coli)

Onions, garlic, chives, and mushrooms (irritation in their gastrointestinal tract) which means no to most stuffings and casseroles

Avocados (Avocados contain an element known as persin in their leaves, fruit, seeds, and even bark. Persin is incredibly toxic to most animals)

Beer or alcohol

Nutmeg or sage

Turkey skin

Grapes/Raisins

Macadamia Nuts

Bread Dough or batter

Xylito an artificial sweetener found in some candies, gum, and sugar-free cookies (causes insulin release in most animals, which leads to hypoglycemia)

If you are unsure about giving your pet something, air on the side of caution and just refrain. The most common symptoms of illness or upset stomach are vomiting, diarrhea, bloody stools or urine, and lethargy. If you suspect your pet could have eaten something they weren’t supposed to, look out for these signs and visit your local vet right away! Your pet’s health is important, so make sure they eat a safe Thanksgiving dinner!

Comments

Share Your Thoughts